Sam has had some amazing people help her in her journey to becoming a top gymnast, but one of the most important has to be Valorie Kondos-Field, otherwise known as Miss Val. As coach at UCLA, she led them to win 7 national championships. Her book, Life is Short, Don’t Wait to Dance, will be available for purchase September 2018. In this episode, Sam and Val discuss how they met, Val’s unorthodox coaching style, and the Larry Nassar scandal.
- 2:20 How Sam met Val
- 9:35 Sam on the beam
- 14:20 Val’s favorite gymnast
- 17:00 How Sam learned to lead
- 23:00 How Val is an unconventional coach
- 27:15 Val’s cancer diagnosis
- 32:00 What life lessons does Val want to leave her athletes?
- 39:00 Larry Nassar
- 48:00 The importance of nutrition
- 55:50 What personality traits does Val want to see in an aspiring athlete?
- 56:40 How to improve yourself each day
Miss Val’s Website
Connect with Sam
Sam on Instagram
BeamQueenBootcamp on Instagram
Sam on Twitter
Sam on Facebook
Podcast production and marketing provided by Fullcast.